So what have I noticed so far?
- The visual integration in the desktop with the applications seems to be a whole lot better.
- Compiz works - and really well (see screenshot below).
- The kernel is up to date - being 2.6.27-8-generic.
- No sound conflicts with Firefox and MoviePlayer.
- Networking has been changed - and appears to be set up to work with many more interfaces.
There is something which I found odd about the latest release of Ubuntu, the fact that it still does not have Openoffice.org version 3. My Gentoo machine has already gone through the update process on this, and is running the latest version. Stating that, I have noticed that my Gentoo machine still is not running the latest verison of Firefox. I guess it is all "swings and roundabouts".