Monday 26 April 2010

Linux powered N900

I like things that are free and open. I really like the Nokia N900, which is powered by Linux under the Maemo distribution.

Here is some command line snippets:

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian 3:1.10.2.legal-1osso26+0m5) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

mullen:~# uname -a
Linux mullen 2.6.28-omap1 #1 PREEMPT Thu Dec 17 09:40:52 EET 2009 armv7l unknown
mullen:~#

I'll discuss it in depth soon, but some initial observations:
  • It is very customizable
  • The community web sites appear to be alive and well
  • It multi-tasks very well
  • It appears to work well with the Optus network
  • The battery life is shorter than the Nokia 6300 I owned previously to the N900
  • Kitty Kat would prefer if her unit was in white
I am hopeful for the future for this mobile phone / tablet / appliance. I would like it if Nokia would put their full support behind the transition of the N900 to the Meego system. Best of all, I like how the future is open...

No comments:

Post a Comment