Sunday 7 March 2010

Where's Ric?

I'm back in Melbourne again. It's been around 2+ years and a lot has changed. Somethings have changed for the worse - somethings have changed for the better. I'm working with a new company, but with an old friend. Lost an ex-wife, but gained a new partner - and this one wants to be around for life. Met some very interesting people while I was working in Canberra, and hopefully they will choose to remain in touch with me.

There's a few things I would like to address with this blog. Firstly, I am still using Gentoo Linux, although I do find Ubuntu Linux a lot easier to administer. There is something about Gentoo which keeps drawing me back. I like it how things may not work correctly when I first used them. It forces me to learn them. I'm currently compiling my Gentoo machine up to the latest repository - well up to about a week ago. It is working, but it has taken some intervention. Things that have changed have been a new version of GNOME as well as a new version of X.org. It seems to be going well. I'll write more about it when it's complete.

Just for your information - if you plan on trying Linux anytime soon, choose Ubuntu over Gentoo. It's been about 6 days since I started upgrading my Gentoo system, and it's still going. A new install could take somewhere in the range of 3 days or so (on my old hardware). I have gotten Ubuntu up and running in about 40 minutes. Another 30 minutes for updates and upgrades and I am fully functional.

Secondly, I would like to continue my observations on Canberra - but they will eventually dwindle down to nothing. They will be based off memory now, and will not be due to direct experiences. I believe I have covered the main points of Canberra, but a few more may pop up.

Look for more to come in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment