Wednesday 24 March 2010

The Toshiba P20 still works...

My main PC is a Toshiba P20, and as some of you may know, I'm running Gentoo Linux on it. After not touching it for over 3 months (call it being lazy from using a work PC with Ubuntu installed on it), I went through the upgrade process.

This time was not like most other times. Things were broken. Packages were outdated or removed, and generally the system would not work. I loved it! I learnt, I tweaked, I played, I worried, I compiled - and slowly, slowly - the system finally returned back to normal.

I'm writing this blog entry from:

evilric@lasek ~ $ uname -a
Linux lasek 2.6.31-gentoo-r10 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Mar 6 22:31:14 EST 2010 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

If there is one thing Gentoo teaches you, it is that you need to analyse when you troubleshoot. Learn how to gather the indicators, read the documentation, and ask for assistance where necessary.

Things I have noticed with the upgrade:
Things I still need to fix include:
  • Wireless (I have not had this working for a while)
  • SD Card reader (this has never worked - and does not work with Ubuntu's live CD)
  • Bluetooth (same story as above)
  • Remote controller (never tried it - not even when I was running Windows for a day before I installed Linux on the machine)
Wish me luck... or just hope that google does not decide to fold up in the next few days...

No comments:

Post a Comment