Monday 8 December 2008

New wireless modem service - iBurst to Optus

I've been using wireless internet for the past year. The place where I am staying does not allow me to drill holes in the wall to install cable (which is my preference of internet). I was with iBurst, but they have announced that they will be ceasing their operations on 19.12.2008, so I had to look around for another provider. Optus recently had some interesting deals, so I have signed up with them. Optus provide a modem (InZone - Wireless Gateway - Huawei E960) which allows me to connect my Linux PCs directly into it using Ethernet. Not much to configure, works straight of out of the box. My intention is to connect my firewall / router to the modem, and then my PCs to the router. I will document this in greater details with images, but I also ran a quick speed test. Here are the results:

Optus:
Test run on 07/12/2008 @ 09:46 PM

Mirror: OptusNet
Data: 3 MB
Test Time: 34.33 secs

Your line speed is 714 kbps (0.71 Mbps).
Your download speed is 89 KB/s (0.09 MB/s).

iBurst:
Test run on 07/12/2008 @ 09:49 PM

Mirror: OptusNet
Data: 3 MB
Test Time: 26.69 secs

Your line speed is 918 kbps (0.92 Mbps).
Your download speed is 115 KB/s (0.11 MB/s).

I hope the Optus speeds improve. They're not as fast as iBurst.

No comments:

Post a Comment