Tuesday 10 June 2008

You win some and you loose some...

I know about winning and loosing at the same time. It's sort of happening to me at the moment, but it's also happening to a few of the sporting teams I follow, as well as other things I do:

1. Celtics vs Lakers
The Celtics held back a last minute surge from the Lakers to win by 6 points, and gain a 2-0 lead in the NBA finals! A big "well done" needs to go out to Leon Powe - who contributed as many points as Kevin Garnett did in the same game, even though he usually comes off the bench, and hardly plays any minutes in the regular season. Definitely going to be a crowd favourite if he keeps that effort up. Come on championship #17. Make it a clean sweep!
GO CELTICS!

2. Australia vs Iraq
In a reverse of events that happened in Brisbane recently, Iraq has beaten Australia in football by 1-0. This opens up Group 1, and means that Australia has to attempt to repeat its game against Qatar in hope to remain on top of the group. I've got faith that the Socceroos will qualify, and make it to South Africa in 2010, but I also know the ball is round, and may somewhat be unpredictable when attempting to get it in the goals.
GO SOCCEROOS!

3. Upgraded to new kernel on my Gentoo machine
And in yet another seemless upgrade on Gentoo, I've moved to the 2.6.24-r8 gentoo-sources kernel. A quick change to grub, and a quick reboot, and I was using my new kernel. So why have I added this? Well there's a few things they're "not winning" on. The most troublesome to me is the madwifi-ng-0.9.3.3 package - it does not compile with the current kernel. I do not think it is a problem with the kernel itself, but more with the way the package determines which kernel it is. This could be solved if the Gentoo developers promoted madwifi-ng-0.9.4 to the stable tree, but it appears to be still having problems. It's the only thing stopping me from fully getting my WiFi card up and running. I have tested the WiFi hardware by booting up with a Ubuntu 8.04 LiveCD, and can confirm it is detected, and attempts to detect other wireless networks.

In other news from Gentoo (as also reported in the current Distrowatch newsletter), it appears that they may release another Gentoo LiveCD, but they do not know when this will happen. I know this is a difficult task, but let me re-iterate, you do not need a Gentoo LiveCD to install Gentoo. Any Linux LiveCD will do.

So when people ask how I am, I usually respond by saying:
Could be better... Could be worse... Always in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment