Saturday 9 February 2008

Gentoo is still keeping up to date...

I was having a chat (via Gmail's chat) with a friend of mine I used to work with, at the previous company where I was employed, and the conversation went onto Open Source, Linux distributions and eventually Gentoo. He said he wasn't happy with Gentoo, as his perceptions was that since the leader (Daniel Robbins) left, the project has essentially collapsed. He also stated that there hasn't been a recent LiveCD release, which I prompted him to a previous post I made in this blog.

Not so... and here's poof. Yesterday, on my Windows XP desktop at work, my version of Mozilla Firefox updated itself to 2.0.0.12. And after issuing the update commands on my Gentoo machine:
root@lasek ~ # emerge --sync && emerge -DNuva --with-bdeps y world
root@lasek ~ # etc-update
root@lasek ~ # revdep-rebuild

...I've got a freshly compiled version of Firefox which I am using to write this article with.Mozilla Firefox Browser 2.0.0.12 on a Gentoo Linux distributionAccording to the release notes off the website, it was finialised on 7.02.2008. And here's my build identifier from my about: page above:
  • Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.12) Gecko/2008020912 Firefox/2.0.0.12
Well done to the guys at Gentoo for keeping things rolling!

And if you're reading this blog using another browser that's tied in with a proprietary Operating System, maybe you should visit the Mozilla site and download the latest version of Firefox. Right after you install a better Operating System!:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment