Monday 17 January 2011

Tuna Niçoise salad at home

I appreciate a good Tuna Niçoise salad, and will venture out to Pancake Parlour to get one. While I have ordered it at many different restaurants, and had some ones that are "fancier" than others, I do like the version that the Pancake Parlour produce. It is one of their staples of their menu, and with their Doncaster store (in Melbourne) being open 24 hours a day, I know where I can always find one - although I have never ordered one for breakfast. I find it enjoyable in both winter and summer, but am most likely to consume it more in the warmer months of the year. It can be served cold, or with fresh seared tuna on top. The ingredients are relatively simple:
  • Blanched green beans
  • Boiled Eggs
  • Onions (red are preferable for appearance)
  • Lettuce mix (variation of different leaves, but can be done with Butter Lettuce or Iceberg Lettuce)
  • Capers
  • Boiled potatoes
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Olives
  • Canned or fresh pan seared tuna
  • Optional: Capsicum (I prefer the red ones as they a mild sweetness to the dish)
  • Optional: Anchovies (although I do not think they suit this dish - but are well suited towards pizza)
Cut them up and arrange on a plate, then drizzle with a dressing made from:
  • Lemon juice
  • White wine vinegar
  • Parsley
  • Garlic
  • Virgin Olive Oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
You may have noticed that I have not specified any quantities. This was done on purpose. I find this dish best when it is customized for the diner. If they like more tuna, then add more tuna. If they do not like boiled eggs, then omit them from the dish. The result looks something like: Homemade Tuna Niçoise Salad This was KittyKat's first attempt at making this dish - and it looked and tasted excellent - especially seeing how she is not a qualified chef. Good food will always be produced when the person making puts their heart into the effort of making it. Following a recipe and not experimenting also helps. I will be looking forward to having this dish again in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment