Friday 20 June 2003

The skill of fishing...

The old proverb of "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll eat for a lifetime" certainly does hold ground in the IT industry. I think people these days are in the mode of getting fish handed to them too often. This is not always a bad thing, but it can cause people to become too reliant on certain things being certain ways to remain productive.

I have no issue informing anyone who wants to ask me for information on how to achieve a certain goal. I don't believe in bottling information, skills, or techniques. It's not a belief that would allow for open-source projects to flourish so well. People should share ideas. Test (or use) ideas. Refine ideas. This sounds very Utopian, I know... but if we do strive to help each other, then we'll all get to a better (and more productive) state of doing things.

Empower your colleague or boss... and get them to do it themselves!!

No comments:

Post a Comment